We have been on earth 300,000 years or maybe even longer.
WHAT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED IN THAT TIME- OTHER THAN INVENTING NEW WAY OF KILLING EACH OTHER.
I suppose the answer is we still exist.
Anyway, there is now compelling evidence THAT WE ARE ON THE THRESHOLD OF OUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT TO DATE.
Humanity’s impact on the Earth’s atmosphere, oceans and wildlife are pushing the world into a new geological epoch.
Humans have introduced entirely novel changes, geologically speaking, such as the roughly 300m metric tonnes of plastic produced annually.
Wildlife, meanwhile, is being pushed into an ever smaller area of the Earth, with just 25% of ice-free land considered wild now compared to 50% three centuries ago.
As a result, rates of extinction of species are far above long-term averages.
We [the public] are well aware of the climate discussions that are going on.
But there is more than one aspect of the changes happening to the entire planet.
The Earth is now on course for a sixth mass extinction which would see 75% of species extinct in the next few centuries if current trends continue.
- Increased the concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere by about 120 parts per million since the industrial revolution because of fossil fuel-burning, leaving concentrations today at around 400ppm and rising
- Nuclear weapon tests in the 1950s and 60s left traces of an isotope common in nature, 14C, and a naturally rare isotope, 293Pu, through the Earth’s mid-latitudes.
- We have put so much plastic in our waterways and oceans that microplastic particles are now virtually ubiquitous, and plastics will likely leave identifiable fossil records for future generations to discover.
- We have doubled the nitrogen and phosphorous in our soils in the past century with our fertiliser use. According to some research, we’ve had the largest impact on the nitrogen cycle in 2.5bn years.
- We have left a permanent marker in sediment and glacial ice with airborne particulates such as black carbon from fossil fuel-burning.
We will reach the hard reality whereby the planet we call home cannot keep us.
Even if like in the past we are able to get ourselves of this quite uncomfortable position with the developing technology we are going to see our civilization strained.
We are already using Earths resources that cannot and will not be replenished.
Granted we have come a long way from our biggins but with the human population set to continue to grow exponentially, there is no sense whether your black, white, rich, poor, Trump or Putin, Muslim or Christian, in the EU or out not cooperating together to share what we all need.
IF WE CANNOT ADDRESS THE OBVIOUS WITHOUT TURNING THEM INTO COMMODITIES TO BE SOLD ON THE STOCK EXCHANGE FOR PROFIT WE CAN REST ASSURED WHEN YOU ARE DEPARTED AND GONE THAT YOU WILL BE THE LUCKY ONE.
All the rhetoric without funds without the distribution of wealth and technology will achieve nothing.
THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING – TAP INTO GREED.
(See: Previous posts re A World Aid commission)
All human comments appreciated. All like clicks chucked in the bin.